Leviticus: A B-Grade Slasher Movie with No Plot?

Recently I’ve been going through some of my old sermon tapes and converting them to mp3 (nerd alert).  These tapes are from the beginning of Mars Hill Bible church in 1999, when we spent most of the year studying Leviticus in the “Sanctynasium (Sanctuary + Gymnasium).”  Basically our church took place in a haggard old gym packed with 2,000 people and the fire marshals had to turn people away.  Now that is church!

When you first read through Leviticus it’s kind of like a B-grade slasher movie with no plot……I’ll wait for everyone to get that joke.  The book contains a detailed list of sacrificial procedures and as you study it you realize that it’s all about forgiveness and being brought closer to God.  The Hebrew word, “Korban,” for sacrifice means “to draw near to.”

In the Old Testament, you continually find a God that wants to be near to his people.  It’s almost like he can’t wait to get down to Earth.  One of the greatest books of all time is God In Search of Man, by Abraham Joshua Heschel.

I was also surprised/grateful to remember that Leviticus even contains a sacrifice for “unintentional sin.” A lot of people in church have this image of the God of the Old Testament as some cranked up angry God, and I just see a totally different picture.  I see a God of grace and forgiveness.  A God that is so forgiving, he even forgives people for unintentional sins.

I need to remember that in my own life, and remember to forgive others, even when they may not realize that what they are doing is hurtful.  For more on spending a year studying Leviticus see the post, “We Love the Scriptures and Want Them To Sweep Us Off Our Feet.”

This entry was posted in Leviticus, Work of Rob Bell and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Leviticus: A B-Grade Slasher Movie with No Plot?

1. Kevin Spaeth says:

Hi Rob,

There are a bunch of people looking for this Leviticus series to no avail. Is this something you could post online?

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. I can also give you an update when I’m finished converting the tapes, it is an extremely tedious and time consuming process and I haven’t been able to devote as much time to it as I would like. The messages are copyrighted so I’m not sure if I’m able to post them online once I have them in mp3 format.

• Kevin Spaeth says:

Hi Rob, I was reading that another person contacted the church and their response was “we didn’t records anything before 2003”. I looked at their online store and didn’t see any leviticus sermons there. I think it would be quite a treasure if you could post these in some form. I haven’t heard any of the sermons, but heard that they were very inspiring.

3. tayloru10 says:

Hi Rob –
    Any chance you’d be willing to privately share these Leviticus Sermons? I’ve been looking for them everywhere but can’t track them down. Love to trade an email about this possibility.
    Thanks,
    Tim

4. tayloru10 says:

Hi Rob –
    Any chance of privately sharing these Leviticus Sermons? I’ve been looking for them for a long time and can’t seem to track them down. Love to trade an email about this if possible.
    Thanks!
    Tim

5. tim says:

Hi rob, I think I’ve commented on here before, but I thought I’d just check in again. If you have converted those Leviticus sermons I’d love to get copies if at all possible. I’m actually going to be in Israel this spring if you’re still over there. Let me know if you’d be open to sharing them, Cheers!
    Tim

6. Gordon says:

Hey Rob, I’m working on putting together a dissertation proposal for a Ph D. and was wanting to see if Rob Bell’s take on Leviticus could play a part. Have you finished converting the tapes? Would you be willing to email me what you have? I would not post them, or make them public. I just want to listen to them for research reasons. I have already contacted the church and they said they don’t release MP3’s that are not in their online store.

7. KChen says:

Any updates? I would love be really blessed by these sermons!

8. Not sure if this is website is active at all – but I have a lot of missionaries that have been asking me to track down the same thing, also the series you did on Numbers. They are of course willing to pay any fees or purchase, but we have been trying the same thing and ended up with the same answers. Or Kevin, if you ever were able to track them down? Thank you so much for the help and time! – Jenny

9. Greg Studdard says:

Rob,
    Would you be willing to sale or share the mp3 files of Mars Hill early years? Thanks!

10. gray hassmann says:

Hi, I’m very late to this post, but still VERY curious if you or anyone has Rob Bell’s Leviticus sermons or ANY of his other early sermons (pre-dating 2006 or so) available online to download. I know I speak for many in my community who would absolutely go bonkers for these and even provide money or resources towards this cause.

Please advise. Most appreciated!

11. graycreative says:

Please advise. Most appreciated!

12. joe says:

Have you been able to convert these…. You would make a of people happy if you put them up for download.

13. If anyone has suggestions or an easy way to distribute these to everyone who wants them let me know. I’m definitely happy to share, just not sure about the best/most efficient way to do so.